Thursday, June 27, 2013

Pretty Little Devils by Nancy Holder

source of book: Purchased Stars: Four and a half out of five Pages: 256 Publisher: Razorbill Hazel Stone wants nothing more than to be a part of the hottest clique in school, the Pretty Little Devils. When PLD queen bee Sylvia invites Hazel to one of the group's famous soirees, Hazel is thrilled--but popularity comes with a price. ***************************************************************************************************************************************************** I read Nancy Holder before and I have to say.. I wasn't impressed. Her book that I read was written in poor taste and was a major major cliche, however---Pretty Little Devils was a murder mystery that had me guessing until the end! Even when you thought it was over, it wasn't! It held its grip on me until the very end and I finished it in only a day. It was told in the point of view of Hazel, the girl who want to become a PLD and eventually does. She quickly learns the ways of their group--purple scrunchies and babysitting jobs and their ever-so-famous pranks while watching the children. They pool together their babysitting jobs, and when ever they are sitting, someone pranks them good, followed by drinking the parents stash of alcohol. The group seems fairly innocent, until they start to get strange messages and phone calls and even emails, all threatening and creepy. It starts out with the killer killing--butchering animals, then he or she moves on to people. The PLD think that sticking together will keep them from being harmed from the psycho, but it turns out they can trust no one and no one is safe, not even the pretty little devils themselves. So? Do you think you'll guess who the killer is? I have to say that I was very impressed with this book and Ms. Holder did a very good job keeping you guessing and intrigued until the last printed word upon the page. I think this would have been a great movie, and it did become one... But not under the name Pretty Little Devils.. Its called legacy, and is based on it, I suppose but it is nothing like it, From what I've seen from the trailer. Its rated R.. Which a movie about this book shouldn't be and it takes place in college and the names are entirely different... If you've seen that movie, don't blame the book! And don't watch the movie over the book, nothing beats a good beach read during the hot summer months. Au Revoir, M.J

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me your thoughts!